HUNTING ACCESS PROGRAM (HAP)
- This DNR program, funded by hunting license fee dollars, is being brought to private landowners locally by the Alcona Conservation District, the first point of contact. Call Eric Brandon, District Forester at (989) 335-1056 or Janet Reins, District Manager at (989) 724-5272, for properties in Alcona or Iosco Counties.
- Landowners can earn up to $25 per acre in annual rental rates by enrolling in the Program which allows public hunting on their acreage. Payments are based on the type(s) of hunting allowed, habitat quality and number of acres (at least 40) enrolled. HAP offers a variety of lease options, including limiting hunting to deer only, turkey only, small game only, youth and apprentice only or for all legal species.
- Landowners can set a limit to the number of hunters allowed on the land at the same time, and may choose to have a mandatory or self check-in for hunters. Safety is the first priority. A quality hunting experience is second.
- A State Statute (P.S. 451 of 1994) provides liability protection to landowners enrolled in HAP. HAP has been successfully providing hunting access to private lands since 1977.
- Program flexibility allows landowners to earn highest potential reimbursement.
The Hunting Access Program works to retain and recruit hunters at a time when hunting has been declining throughout the state; it contributes to economic growth and helps keep wildlife populations at sustainable levels; and it opens quality hunting opportunities to hunters who might otherwise have very limited hunting access.
For further information about HAP, go to michigan.gov/hap. To enroll in the program, call the Alcona Conservation District at (989) 724-5272.